So I have an absolutely amazing dish for you today. The greatest thing about this dish is how simple it is, and dare I say it? A bit healthy haha. This is a dish made up of brown rice, steamed asparagus, and grilled salmon with a garlic butter sauce.
I wanted a good, wholesome dinner for the end of my stressful finals week and I had been eating a lot of sandwiches so I decided to try my hand at making a protein-rich dish that tasted amazing. The dish will take a little while to cook due to the length of time it takes to cook brown rice, but I thoroughly enjoy brown rice over white rice nowadays, not just because of the health benefits but also for taste.
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup brown rice
- 4-6 Asparagus stalks
- 1 Salmon fillet
The ingredients for this dish are fairly basic, but as I always say, the fresher the better. Here are the steps for bringing it all together:
- You’re going to want to get the brown rice started long before anything else as it takes a while to cook. Bring the 2 cups of water to a boil and add a dash of salt. Then stir in 1 cup of brown rice and turn down the heat to 2-3. Cover the pan with a lid, and let simmer for 45-50 minutes.
- After about 30 minutes, begin boiling the water to steam the asparagus. There are store-bought steams bag you can use, but I got a new pot with a strainer so I’ve just been using that instead. Once the water is boiling, insert your asparagus stalks.
- Get your pan hot and ready with a little bit of oil in the bottom. Season the salmon fillet with salt and pepper on the non-skin side, and put that side in the pan face-down. Sear each side of the salmon for roughly 2.5 minutes.
- If you time it right, the salmon should be done right about the same time as the rice and asparagus. You’ll want the asparagus to be a very bright green color, and for the rice to be fluffy without being too soggy.
- You can begin assembling the dish after these components are done, and make your sauce shortly after as it doesn’t take long to make. Use a small, round dish and pack it with the brown rice then place in bowl. Lay the asparagus stalks on top of the brown rice, and then the salmon fillet on top of those.
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
This sauce is pretty simple and should only take a few minutes to make after you’ve whipped everything else up.
Set your burner to 6-7 and warm your pan, then add the olive oil. Once the oil has warmed up slightly, add the minced garlic and let brown. Once the garlic has browned, you can add the butter and let it melt. Stir contents regularly and you’ve got your sauce all ready to go. Pour over the salmon dish and enjoy!